Doing Good Better
Wrapping your head around board leadership and governance for non-profit organizations
This 6 hour practical course (often spread across 3 training sessions) is tailor-made so that new board members will learn the keys to thinking like a board member, the responsibilities and duties of board service, and how to bring the most to their service leadership experience. Based on the award-winning book, Doing Good Better, by Edgar Stoesz, this course is just what new board members need to jump start their terms and understand the critical importance of their role in relationship to the organizational Director or CEO.
- Understanding the roles of the board (a governing body) versus the staff (a managing body) and acting accordingly.
- The importance of Governance oversight and financial fiduciary responsibilities.
- Identifying critical steps your board can take to improve its meetings.
- Critiquing your individual performance and the collective board performance and applying new strategies for improvement.
- Communication strategies for facilitating and sharing ideas with fellow board members to enhance your work together.
This training is designed to draw out individual learning styles and celebrate diversity of opinion and approach. The course includes practical interpersonal exercises, video lessons, and a workbook / study guide for each participant and can be customized to meet the specific present needs of your particular organization. It is recommended but not a requirement for board members to read the book, Doing Good Better and group discounts are available for purchase of multiple copies of the book. Stoesz' book is faith friendly but not faith specific, focusing instead on general Spiritual principles and values that guide great service leadership.
For further information or to discuss course customization for your organization contact NLP Resources Austin owner, lead trainer, and coach Keith Fail at 512-507-5464
Accolades for Doing Good Better:
"Very beneficial to many people who are members of nonprofit boards across the country."
-Millard Fuller, President and Founder, Habitat for Humanity, International
"Doing Good Better is the best there is."
-Richard F. Celeste, former Governor of Ohio